"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 14, 2010

My first Blurb book

Yesterday my first Blurb book arrived via FedEx. So exciting!! I have a family blog that is mostly just pictures of the kids and funny stories about them and I decided that I needed to actually make it into our family photo album. Since digital cameras came on the scene, I almost never order prints of our pictures. I order really good ones, or favorites to frame every now and then, but we don't have photo albums full of them (in a box in our Harry Potter closet with all the other pre-digital camera photos). What we do have is an external hard drive we had to get in order to house the thousands of pictures we've taken in the past 6 years.

But back to my Blurb book. A few months ago I saw down, downloaded the Booksmart software from the Blurb website and got to work. It is time consuming, although I think I'm getting better at it. The book that came yesterday was my family blog from 2007. I just picked a random year to begin with, so I'll need to go back and do 2006 and then 2008 and 2009. Eventually I plan on scanning in all our old pictures and recreating an album for each year we've been married. This is one of my New Year's Resolutions and while it may be a slow process, eventually I'll get caught up and it will be much easier to only have one year to worry about at a time.

Here's what I learned:
  • Stop making picture collages because I don't want them in my Blurb book
  • FIX the red eyes before publishing them to my blog*
  • Keep more accurate dates. Or blog about it right after it has happened.
  • I might splurge and order hardcover, although I don't think I'd do it now because I want all of mine to match.
  • Blog about more funny stories, not just pictures.
  • Scan in more of the kids' artwork and stories.
  • Don't skip blogging about stuff that I'll want to have in my family photo album.
  • The colors I pick on the computer aren't going to be quite the same as when it shows up in print. I chose a pale blue for my cover and it's more of a lavendar.
  • The pages of the printed book are about the equivalent of a children's picture book. If I was rolling in dough, I'd have more than one Blurb book printed so the kids could have one to look through all they wanted without me worrying about the pages getting torn, wrinkled, smudged, etc.
Here's a sample of my finished product:



*I thought I had gotten rid of all the red eyes, apparently not.

2 comments:

D Gotlib said...

Thank you for sharing. I've thought about doing one for my art, but not for family photos. Duh....what a cute idea. Especially adding the stories.

Erin said...

I saw Nathan's sister's blurb book over Christmas. The hardcover was nice. She got one for each of the kids for Christmas so that they would have their own copy. yeah, I don't have that kind of money either but guess you could always do it in the future. She waited an ordered them when there was that sale in November. I really should do one...thanks for the inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...