"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

More Rounded Reading

I love young adult books. I never really grew out of them when I finished junior high and high school. Then I studied young adult literature at BYU as part of my degree in English-teaching. I'm not embarrassed by my love for young adult literature, especially with the incredible books that are being written for teenagers today. BUT... I do feel like I need to broaden my reading and so that my young adult versus adult reading is a bit more even this year.

This is last years book breakdown:
18 adult fiction books
2 nonfiction books
49 young adult and middle reader books

from here

I thought that in order to even things out, maybe I should make every other book be one or the other. Read an adult book, then a young adult. Adult, young adult, etc. But I'm stuck right now because the three* library books on my nightstand are all young adult books. What to do, what to do? I guess I'll have to even it out by following these three with three adult books. Wish me luck in my quest to be more rounded.

*Pretties by Scott Westerfeld, Princess Mia (Princess Diaries IX)** by Meg Cabot, and I Am the Messenger*** by Markus Zusak.

**The never-ending series that had finally come to in end (in book X) but first I have to read book IX and I don't want to because after 8 books of Mia being in love with Michael and finally being his girlfriend, she ruined it all at the end of the last book and in this book, she has a different boyfriend. I looked ahead, and she gets back together with Michael in book X, but I have to suffer through book IX first. How junior high did I just sound?


***Has anyone read his book Getting The Girl? I'm intrigued by the title.

2 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

I love when you read adult books. Wait, when you say "adult books" you mean books from an adult bookstore, right?

Nance said...

I knew that you would be my first comment, and I knew it would be about adult books. I wish there was some way to describe fiction books written for adult aged people that wasn't "adult books."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...