"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, December 11, 2009

Tailored

On TLC's What Not To Wear, Stacy and Clinton are always saying to buy nice clothes, but then to have them tailored to your body. This obviously makes sense and I can look at my wardrobe and tell you exactly what needs to be done to each item. The problem is, I don't have the skills needed to do it myself. I don't have the money to pay someone, nor are my clothes expensive enough to warrant tailoring. Can you imagine, "Can you shorten these jeans I bought at Old Navy for $15? ... $25, okay, thanks." (Although, I have learned to hem pants decently.)

It would be awesome to have unlimited funds with which to buy an entirely new wardrobe, plus having that entirely new wardrobe either fit me properly, or be tailored so that it did. But, that's not in the cards. I don't actually know anyone who has their clothes tailored, (readers, surprise me) so it seems that it will never be in the cards.

Throw into this mix that I'm an average sized person. I am 5 foot 6. I have friends that are close to 6 feet tall and I have friends that are barely over 5 feet tall. It is them who I imagine would have the hardest time finding clothes that fit their body perfectly. Yet I have a closet full of pants that are a tad to short, or pants that I've had to hem up slightly so the cuff doesn't drag on the ground. I am long waisted, making bathing suit shopping a nightmare, and no shirt is long enough for me. I just pulled out all of my winter sweaters and I feel ridiculous in them because they are way too short for my body. Maybe I can learn to knit and add a few inches to the bottom.

I've been daydreaming about having my wardrobe (a brand new one, mind you, this is a daydream) tailored but it all became more obvious how much better clothes sewed especially for you fit this week. A Christmas dress that my mother-in-law sewed for my daughter arrived in the mail on Tuesday. Princess Sparkley tried it on and I was amazed at how perfectly it fit her. She's a tall, very skinny seven year old. I hadn't realized how wide all of her store bought dresses were on her body until I saw this one zip up, made to fit the skinny pole that she is.

Now if you don't mind, I'll just keep dreaming about that new wardrobe.

3 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

"No shirt is long enough for me." My solution: stop wearing shirts.
Also, make sure you don't bad-mouth Clinton and Stacy any more. That was pretty close!

LisAway said...

My best friend in high school was long waisted and I remember she always got her bathing suits from J. Crew and they fit her beautifully. But that was 15 years ago.

It seems like if you have money you can afford to just find clothes that actually fit you. Tailoring seems so old fashioned to me. Unless it's for a wedding or something. Maybe not old fashioned, maybe just snooty or something. Oh, I don't know.

Cristin said...

This is going to sound crazy, but I have started getting my jeans tailored. I found a place that will do it for $10 and it is fantastic to finally have pants that don't drag on the ground, etc. I think it's worth the $10.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...