"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Read too much?

I just asked Jed how to spell Impatiens*, like the flower. I assumed there was a T on the end. There isn't. He then asked, what about the flower spelled "P-E-O-N-Y? How would you say that?" And I wasn't quite sure. His response, "It's in books a lot." This reminded me of a relative who will remain unnamed, who, for a long time thought the word "Voila" (pronounced "vwa-'la") was pronounced "VOY-la", similar to viola, but with a "VOY" instead of a "VI." I think it's safe to say that Jed, myself, and the unnamed family member, all read too much.

*I realize this is actually a pronunciation mistake, not a reading mistake. But I read quickly and probably just imagine there is a T there so the word is more familiar looking.



Dateline: Later tonight

I just read part off a wikipedia page to Jed and said, "PIE-lAtes" instead of "
pi-lah-teez." See, I read too much, and don't actually know anyone, or discuss with them, anything to do with pilates.

1 comment:

wendys said...

In Oregon they say peony "pee-A-neys" (3 syllables) and in utah I heard it "pee-ohneys" ( 2 syllables).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...