"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, December 14, 2009

Etiquette

When I was in high school I worked at my brother's law firm. During the day while I was at school, phone calls would come in for me and when I came into the office I was expected to return them. My brother sat me down and explained to me that I had to be professional and to be professional, I needed to return these phone calls promptly. I hated this. Jed and my family especially know how much I hate talking on the phone, returning phone calls, ordering pizza, etc. I really should use this feature, but I don't necessarily want people to call me back either. Basically, unless it's family wanting to chat, it's someone wanting me to do something. Right?* But if someone calls and leaves me a message, I return the phone call... promptly. Within 24 hours promptly.

Now that you know this about me, you can rightly assume that I love email. You can also take a wild guess and be right, that I check my email dozens of times a day. Due to this craziness in myself, I have a hard time understanding people who don't check their email often. Especially people under 50 years old. I also get extremely annoyed when people don't respond back to my email questions promptly. Partially, because it shows respect and good etiquette to respond quickly. And partially, (maybe mainly) because I don't want to have to call you.

Am I the only person like this? Do other people hate the phone? Love email? Demand prompt responses to either??

*My parents didn't get an answering machine until just a few years ago because they figured if people needed to talk to them, they'd call back. If they were just asking them to do something, they'd find someone else. And they didn't want people leaving messages assuming they'd do something that they hadn't agreed to do.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I am so with you on this. One reason I prefer emailing is because it doesn't put someone on the spot when you are asking them a favor. If they don't want to do it they can have time to think about it and come up with an excuse. But yes, it is really frustrating if that person never does email you back and you don't know if they got the message.

Angela said...

Ouch, consider me reprimanded. I hate the phone, and I don't respond quickly to emails unless its work related. I am just a procrastinator by nature:(

wendys said...

I am the same way. I can avoid returning phone calls but get offended if a real heart felt email isn't responded too!

Jill said...

I love making phone calls with all of my heart. I hated working in law firms, but I loved that part. I will call anyone, anytime, unless it is to ask them if they have done their visiting teaching

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...