"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Turkey

I don't typically buy sliced deli meat from the deli. There are usually three kids hanging off my cart while I grocery shop, so waiting at the deli counter is just added time that I'm grumpily doing my shopping. I just grab a plastic container of ham and turkey and call it good.

On a recent trip to the grocery store (alone) I decided to take advantage of the deli counter and their sale prices on ham and turkey . After I placed my order, the woman asked how I wanted my meats sliced. Ummmm.... I had to ask her what my options were. Duh. Thin, thick, etc. I assume because I'd just made a random guess at how I wanted my deli meat sliced, she sliced a piece and showed it to me to see if I was okay with the thickness of it. Then she handed me that piece to eat. I had to refuse it. She'd cut the turkey first. And I dislike turkey. So, there began the first time this holiday season I have to shock someone with my distaste for turkey. Luckily, she took it in stride and kept cutting my meat. Maybe it's a good omen for the rest of the holidays and no one will be so utterly shocked this year when they find out I don't eat turkey. Not even at Thanksgiving. Not even when it's cooked in whatever wonderful way they chose to prepare their turkey. I just don't like it. I'm sorry.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Now I am curious to how you refused it. Did you just shake your head? Or did you tell her that you didn't like turkey? It just makes me wonder what the lady behind the counter was thinking when you refused to taste the turkey that you were buying. :)

Life is too short, and there are too many tasty foods to eat something you really don't like. Good for you.

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

Kristi- I just sort of put up my hand and said, "thanks, but I don't actually like turkey." Then I mumbled something about buying it for my family and wished that I actually had the kids with me as proof that I wasn't just some crazy lady buying food she wasn't going to eat.

Angela said...

That reminds me of a Seinfeld episode when Jerry's girlfriend refuses a bite of his pie and it makes him crazy. I am always intimidated at the meat counter. I feel like I need to know more than I do about all there is to meat things.

Jill said...

I hate lunchmeat and that is a hard bomb to drop on people too. It's not my fault that it is nasty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...