"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Georgia


image from here

I started reading the Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison ten years ago (yikes!) when the first one, Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging, was published. These books are hilariously funny, but when I think about Princess Sparkley reading them in many, many, many years when she's a teenager, I'm not so sure I'd be okay with it.* The books are about Georgia and her group of besties, the Ace Gang. The book is full of British slang, crazy sayings specific to this group of girls, and a lot a lot a lot** of boy craziness. There is no sex. There is talk of the snogging scale, much like saying someone got to first base, or whatever. But none of the girls have sex, or really get much past plain kissing, ear nibbling, etc. There is a lot of talk you'd imagine at a teenage girl slumber party. Talk about breasts, and boys, and how far to go, and wearing thong underwear, etc.

The books are hilarious, did I already say that? I've really enjoyed them over the years, although I am happy they are finally through. Each book is written as Georgia's journal entries and only covers a few weeks worth of time, so in ten books, I'm not sure we've even covered more than a year's worth of Georgia's life. In that time she's been twitterpated with and ended up dating three boys: Robbie the Sex God, Masimo the Lurve God/Italian Stallion, and Dave the Laugh. And waiting a year for each new book to be published when everything basically picks up where one left off and only travels a few weeks forward was very annoying. Those of you who haven't read them, and are interested, have it made. It'll be like you are reading one 2000 page book broken up into ten little books. I should have done that.

And there's a movie... not released in the US yet (with no known date of when that might happen). I ended up watching it on youtube a few weeks ago broken up into ten parts. Pretty funny.

*I love reading young adult books. And there are young adult books that I totally love, that I don't think I'd want my kids to read. Some I think are perfectly fine for adults, but not necessarily teenagers. I guess there are some teen books that would be much more appropriate for OLDER teens and young adults. For instance, the Twilight series. Why are some parents of pre-teens and young teenagers cool with this? One of my nephews passed his mom up in reading the books and got to the last book, where Edward and Bella are married and have some fairly (for young teenage eyes) descriptive sex, before his mom did. He was 12!! Yikes.

**Please, all of you who are not superb spellers, take note. A lot is two words. Two. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.

3 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

What is this descriptive sex of which you speak? Where's our copy of "New Moon," or whatever the kinky one's called?

Jill said...

Hahahaha. My mom was shocked enough to text me as she was reading it

julie said...

I thought the Angus Thong books were funny too, but my husband does not want them in our house where our girls can access them when they're older, so I got rid of my copies.

Ditto on the sentiments about Breaking Dawn. I sure wish Stephanie had written that book a little differently, knowing her audience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...