"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 16, 2009

Forgetting Names

My new responsibility at church is as the secretary in the women's organization. Being the secretary, a huge aspect of my responsibilities is to take roll. This is difficult to do when I'm so new to the ward and only know a handful of people's names. Sunday I started working on learning people's names. I asked someone I didn't know to say the opening prayer and then asked them their name. I took note of people's names and faces when they were called on to comment or read aloud. I even introduced myself to a new woman (newer than me) when I was changing Baby X's diaper in the bathroom and she was holding the stall door closed for a little girl. This is my problem. Even when I'm trying to learn people's names, I don't remember them three seconds later. I have to give myself a virtual kick in the shins rerminding me that I actually need to pay attention to their answer after I ask them their name. I met this woman, left the bathroom, got 10 feet down the hallway and had absolutely know idea what her first name was. I knew her last name (but I'd known that even before I introduced myself to her moments earlier), but her first name was completely lost to me. Luckily, being in charge of rolls listing all the women's names. Yea for lists! Now I just need to actually remember them in real life with no need of a list.

1 comment:

wendys said...

I am terrible with names too. I have to say them a couple of times before they stick.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...