"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 30, 2009

Countdown to Christmas

I realize I'm a bit late on this since tomorrow IS December 1st, but does anyone do anything special to countdown to Christmas?

I have a wooden Santa with 25 numbers on him and we take one off each day. I like the idea of the store ones where you open a little window and there is a chocolate inside, except I don't want the chocolate inside. I seem to remember having one of these as a kid but there was no candy, just a cute little picture or something. This (see below), that I just found on Etsy, would be perfect. If only the 1st wasnt' tomorrow.



I never remember until after I've unpacked all of our Christmas books that I should have them all wrapped up and we open a new book every night until Christmas. That way we actually get to enjoy each Christmas book that's been packed away all year instead of hauling out two dozen and piling them on a table.

I, of course, love the fancy wooden door calendars found at Pottery Barn, but don't really want to spend a lot of money (read: any money) on this crazy fantasy I have of finding the perfect advent calendar.


I am loving this one on Etsy, but it's for the pattern and I am not paper crafty. Etsy actually has a lot of great advent calendar patterns, lots involving cookie sheets, muffin tins, paper and magnets. But again, I'm not paper crafty. And my sewing skills aren't up to par for creating this sort of art. I guess I should find a pattern and spend the next year working on it, so next December 1, I'll be ready.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Here is one I use every year:
LDS advent calendar

We cut it up and put it in Christmas socks hung up. Maybe I will blog about it. :)

Nathan is cutting up the scriptures as I type this.

Erin said...

I saw a wooden calendar, similar to the one at Pottery Barn, at Target. It is on sale for $25 this week. Not as cute as the Pottery Barn, but it looks cute in the ad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...