"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, November 13, 2009

Blog Income

I recently finished the book Julie and Julia by Julie Powell (really good book but lots of swearing, all food leads to sexual allusions and she really has it in for Republicans). For those of you unfamiliar with the plot, Julie starts a blog detailing her attempts to cook her way through Julia Child's famous cookbook in one year. She gets a pretty decent blog following, is written up in newspapers, makes guest appearances on shows, and eventually writes this book which then turned into a movie of the same title. When she gets to the section of the cookbook for lamb, a friend suggests she put up a Paypal money contribution link on her blog so that her readers can help fund the purchasing of lamb she needs in order to complete this section of the cookbook. And it worked. Wouldn't that be awesome of we could all do that, and it would work? Don't you all want me to go on a Caribbean cruise, or buy a new bookshelf, or print a blurb.com book of my family blog?

2 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Some of your readers are more magnanimous than others. For instance, I'll probably end up paying for all three of those things.

wendys said...

I don't know how people get huge blog followings. My blog is only seen by family and friends and I think I want to keep it that way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...