"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, October 02, 2009

Sneaking Veggies

As I was walking through the store today I was hit by the realization that I can't remember the last time Baby X ate a vegetable.

My kids are all over the board as far as their eating habits. Buddy (5) loves fruits and vegetables and is a bit more hesitant with soups and casseroles. Princess Sparkley (7) hates all fruits except the occasional bites of banana or peeled apple slices. But she's much more willing to eat what we're having for dinner, casserole or whatever. Baby X (20 months) isn't a horrible eater, but he goes through phases. He went through a phase recently where basically all I could get him to eat was macaroni and cheese. And he loves chicken nuggets. BUT, he only likes them from an actual fast food restaurant, if I make them at home from a frozen grocery store box, he won't have anything to do with them. He likes hot dogs. And he likes deli ham. That's all the meat he'll eat too. Unless I'm eating a meatball sub sandwich, in which case he wants the entire thing.

Now that Baby X has graduated from baby food, I can't get him to eat veggies. My other kids are fine with veggies. Not salad. Buddy loves them all, including carrots, zucchini and tomatoes (I know, I know, tomatoes are a fruit). Both older kids will eat broccoli and green beans, corn and asparagust. Baby X won't eat it at all. Raw. Steamed. Squished. I actually put some baby food carrot puree in his macaroni and cheese a few weeks ago and that seemed to go over okay... that's actually probably the last veggie he had.



So today while I was at the store I came across Little Blends yogurt. Baby X LOVES yogurt. And this is yogurt with hidden veggies. The company is even smart enough to only picture the strawberry on the container, not the carrot. Brilliant. There were three varieties. It's a four pack of yogurts. Target was selling it for $2.99 which is a bit in the pricey range for me, but I was figuring a veggie treat every now and then for Baby X's health should require a splurge. And you can print a coupon from their website. Baby X loved it. I made PS take a bite and she whispered that it was okay but kind of gross.

I also picked up some of V8's new juice V8 fusion. I'm a little hesitant in regards to anything with V8 in it since my sister drank the regular V8 stuff like crazy when I was a kid, and the smell alone makes me want to vomit. We'll see...

What tricks do you use to sneak in the veggies, or fruits without going all black bean brownies, or zucchini chocolate cake on me? I'm not ready to attack Jerry Seinfeld's wife's book yet.

3 comments:

wendys said...

I made zuchini cupcakes with a caramel frosting and the kids loved them. I just make sure to put at least one vegetable and one fruit at lunch and dinner and try and get them to at least take a taste.

Miss L said...

My three year old won't touch veggies (or fruits, unless they are in yogurt or a smoothie), so now and then I sneak some in her mac and cheese and add some extra parmesan cheese...sometimes she can taste the difference and sometimes she can't. Oh well. I just keep offering, hoping at some point she'll want to try some.

Good luck, and thanks for the veggie yogurt tip! I'm gonna try that!!! :)

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Let's eat meatball sandwiches three times this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...