"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 08, 2009

My Mom's Cinnamon Rolls


minus icing

My Mom's Potato* Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients and Directions:

2 TBSP yeast dissolved in 1 cup warm water

Add 2 TBSP sugar. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water.

Add to the yeast mixture – 1 medium cooked potato (peeled and mashed), 2 eggs, 2 cups milk (scalded**), 1 ½ cups sugar, 3 ½ tsp salt, 4 tsp baking powder and 5 cups flour.

Mix together with mixer.

Then add: 1 ½ cubes butter (melted) and the rest of the flour (about 5 more cups, or more if needed).

Knead 10 minutes. Raise twice. After second raising, divide dough in half – do not punch down the 2nd time. Let rest 10 minutes.

Roll into rectangle – spread with butter (about half a cube per rectangle off dough), brown sugar (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup per rectangle), cinnamon (about 2 tsp per rectangle) and raisins (1 cup which have been plumped*** – optional).

Roll and cut with thread or string or, as my mom and I do it, dental floss.

Bake in greased 9x13 casserole dish at 375 for 20 minutes.


Simple Glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar

½ tsp vanilla

3 TBSP water (or milk)



*I've always liked telling people that this recipe has a secret ingredient they'll never guess. I've come across potato roll recipes before, and seen potato bread in the store, but it seems like an ingredient in old fashioned bread recipes, and this is the only one I ever make.

*
*Almost every time I've made these, I've had to call my mom and ask her what scalded means.
Basically about boiling, when the milk starts to stick to the sides of the pan and the spoon.

***Soaked in hot water. I've never done this... I prefer my cinnamon rolls raisin free.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Yes, I'll take two please...looks delicious.

Angela said...

Blessed Day! I have been wanting this recipe for years, but have never gotten around to asking you. They are SO delicious!

Rae said...

Those are ginormous!! They look super tasty and delicious!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...