"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, September 07, 2009

Zucchini Fritters

for Wendys (Bake and Blog Contest Winner)

When I was about 12 years old, my brother was finishing up a mission for our church in Japan. This was his third trip to Japan. He'd gone as an exchange student the summer between his junior and senior years of high school and loved it so much that he visited on his own the next summer. He was lucky enough to be called to serve as a missionary in Japan, to the same area he'd already visited twice. When his mission ended, my parents decided we should go as a family to pick him up, so my mom, dad, older sister and I got to spend two weeks in Japan... the most humid place I'd ever been (until Kansas, and now Virginia).

Now, I was 12 at the time. And I have a horrible memory as it is. This was 1990. So nearly 20 years ago (ACH!). But I remember that we visited a restaurant where the seating was such that we were sitting at an island or bar type table with a griddle built into the middle. And we ate the yummiest, vegetable cake/pancake/patty I have ever had. I don't know what it was. Or where it was. I just remember that it was delicious. And that I had to pee in a hole in the ground in the restaurant's bathroom. And me and a bunch of other kids caught tiny little bright green frogs in a ditch by the restaurant parking lot. But I remember those vegetable patties. These, while not the same, remind me a bit of that dish.

Plus!!! It's the end of the summer, and all of your backyard farmers probably have zucchini coming out of your ears.




Zucchini Fritters *


Ingredients:
4 normal sized zucchini (grated)
1 tsp paprika
5-6 green onions (chopped finely)
1 cup flour
9 oz. feta cheese
small bunch of parsley (chopped)
3 eggs (beaten)
small bunch fresh mint (chopped)
1 TBSP dried mint
olive oil for cooking
limes

Directions:
Coarsely grate the zucchini. Lay on paper towels for 20 minutes to drain of excess water.
Place chopped green onions in a bowl and crumble feta. Stir in chopped parsley and mint along with dried mint and paprika. Add the flour and season well with salt and pepper. Slowly add beaten eggs and mix well. Stir in zucchini. The batter will be lumpy. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan (over medium flame). Drop batter by tablespoons full onto hot oil. Flatten the little cakes with the back of the spoon. Cook these little patties for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Sprinkle cooked fritters with more chopped mint and spritz with lime juice. Eat them hot or cold. Eat them as your main, vegetarian dish with a nice salad on the side. Or eat them as a nice summer side dish to BBQ chicken or something of that sort.


*I saw Nigella Lawson make these several years ago on TV. I'm sure if you did a google search, you'd find much nicer looking fritters than mine.

2 comments:

wendys said...

Those look good, thanks! I will definitely try them out!

julie said...

Nancy - I make a recipe similar to this, one that I got from the pioneer woman. She called them Zucchini cakes, and we LOVE them. But your version sounds really good, too, so I'll have to try it and see which one we like better. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...