"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, September 21, 2009

Creme Brulee

For Bake and Blog Contest Winner: Mormon Scientist

Creme Brulee (original recipe from here)
I thirded the recipe and made 4 small creme brulees rather than 8 medium-ish ones.

The ingredients

1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1/4 cups sugar
1/3 tsp vanilla
4-8 tsp brown sugar


I used Pampered Chef Prep Bowl Set bowls. You should use ramekins since every recipe I read called for ramekins.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the cream, egg yolks and white sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir.
I started with a whisk, but when I poured it into the little dishes, a lot was clumped into the edge of the pan, so I would suggest a spatula that can handle high heat.



When it reaches 160 degrees (I used a candy thermometer that I got awhile ago at Walmart for under $5) or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, remove from heat and add vanilla.



Transfer to your bowls/ramekins. Ramekins are shallower than my bowls, so, I only filled these 8 oz. bowls about half full. Place the little bowls in a 9x13 casserole dish, then fill the casserole dish with 1 inch of boiling water. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until centers are set (mixture will still jiggle).


i
Remove from water bath and cool for 10 minutes before covering and refrigerating for at least 4 hours.



Remove from fridge. Sprinkle 1-2 tsp on top of each cup.



Place on pan in broiler for 2-4 minutes, just until brown sugar on top is carmelized.



Remove from broiler and cool slightly before returning to the fridge for 1-2 hours.
If you were to use a torch rather than a broiler, you could probably eat it at this point. But when the entire thing is heated, the cream part became runny.



Ta da!

Reactions:
The kids loved poking their spoon through the hard, sugar layer, but didn't care much for the creme brulee.
Jed and I have never actually had creme brulee before, it's not really our kind of dessert. So, we're probably not the best judges. It tasted yummy, but I don't know that I'm going to make this again, or order it at a restaurant in the future. Although, maybe I will order it at a restaurant so I can compare it to this one I made.


Fun fact:
Creme Brulee is a cousin to Flan, also known as Creme Caramel.


Hints:
A friend told me to make a regular instant vanilla pudding recipe, and add extra vanilla, vanilla bean seeds, or use scraped vanilla pods. Cover it with brown sugar and torch the sugar.


Recipes I looked at:
This recipe/site was helpful.
As was this one.

3 comments:

wendys said...

It looks good, but I've never tasted it!

Matt said...

Looks pretty good! I am impressed. You definitely should try it in a restaurant... it may change your life forever. Maybe I can convince my wife to let me buy a set of ramekins now.

Hazey Bell said...

Oooooh I love creme caramel, they are yummy! but i dont know if i have the ability to cook something like this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...