"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, September 07, 2009

Civil War Battlefields



Last Saturday we decided to visit one of the Civil War Battlefields that is kind of close to our home. Here we experienced a new aspect of living in the South. A little girl near us asked her dad who won the war. He said that "we won this battle. But we lost the war." We?? This was a concept Jed and I (being mainly from the west coast) were unfamiliar with. I always just think that the South lost (and rightfully so). Which I guess means I side with the North, thinking we won. But I think of it as ALL of America winning. I guess not down here. Not to mention most of the memorials at this battlefield are for Confederate soldiers, generals, etc.

1 comment:

wendys said...

I think it is strange and akward that people still identify themselves with the confederacy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...