"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Baking Craziness

While at the grocery store today, Princess Sparkley informed me that I must have ice cream fever since I was buying more ice cream and we already had so much in our freezer from our last grocery store trip. What PS doesn't realize is that while she's in bed at night, Jed and I scarf down bowls of ice cream while we watch Arrested Development.

PS told me tonight that I must have baking or treats fever as well because tonight I baked cinnamon rolls (just the Pillsbury in a tube kind) for the kids for dessert. Then I baked a cake. Then I made cookies. Also on the agenda was creme brulee (it's coming soon) and homemade rolls that rise in the refrigerator over night.

Craziness, I know. But here's the deal... I made this Cafe Rio knock off pork salad earlier in the week and needed to use up my extra buttermilk from the salad dressing recipe (which, by the way, is SO YUMMY). So I made Aebleskivers the other night for dinner, using up some, but not all, of the buttermilk. The only other buttermilk recipe I knew I had without putting too much thought into it was my mom's hot fudge square recipe. But that makes a sheet cake worth of dessert. Since I've recently organized my recipes, I remembered one or two that called for buttermilk. And I had enough buttermilk for this Vanilla Ring Cake* AND half of this recipe (which you can only view if you subscribe to Taste of Home, sorry). I figured my family could slowly make their way through this cake over the next few days (we don't go through cakes quite as quickly as we go through cookies, brownies, or ice cream). And the cookies I was going to give away when I go visiting teaching tomorrow.

The cookies turned out to be a disaster. Yummy, but a disaster. In halving the recipe, I messed up the consistency of it all. It seemed fine until about 5 minutes into baking I smelled something burning. Looking in the oven revealed the cookies melting off of my baking stone onto the bottom of the oven. So, to the rest of the dough in the bowl, I added more flour. The rest of the cookies turned out okay, but not really lovely looking. And lovely looking cookies are what I'd like to give away to strangers. Not crazy blobs of yumminess.

So the cooking fiasco convinced me that I should save the creme brulee, which I'm a bit nervous about making, for another night that is mishap free. And I ran out of shortening, so the rolls will have to wait as well.

What are your crazy kitchen mishaps?


*The cake smells yummy. I haven't iced it yet. I tried a piece that broke off in my bundt pan and it just tasted like cake. Nothing special. But then, I'm not a huge fan of cakes in general, so maybe it'll turn out suberb once it's iced or someone else is eating it.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Crazy for sure, but my kids would really wish that they lived at your house!

Erin said...

oh, and I posted some apple/carrot muffins that I discovered trying to use up buttermilk. I love them and they are on the healthy side. Buttermilk pancakes also use up quite a bit. Makes me wish I had some to use up...

Angela said...

Bran muffins use buttermilk, but not everyone likes bran muffins. I can't believe that you guys like cake the least of all the treats, it makes me sad. Oh yeah I need your metabolism to slow down soon, so I don't have to be chubby by myself:)

Angela said...

oh yeah I made chocolate chip cookies the other day and I didn't put enough flour in. They ended up cooking all together in one thin layer of cookie the shape of a baking sheet. They were still good though.

Heather Payne said...

Bummer about the cookies. Feel free to utilize your amazing cooking skills when you're visiting us in a few weeks. I wouldn't want you to get out of practice or anything. And if we HAVE to help out by eating everything, then so be it. We'll do whatever we have to do for you. :-)

wendys said...

I'm trying to copy and paste your mom's hot fudge brownie recipe but it won't let me! And I am too lazy to type it all out. Do you have an electronic copy you can email me??? Pretty please??

julie said...

Any recipe that calls for buttermilk is gonna be good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...