So, thank you to our friends in Kansas. People who invite my kids over to play no matter how many times I never reciprocated. Friends who have watched my kids during my doctor appointments, and Baby X's doctor appointments. Music class on Fridays at the church with all the little kids. Music class field trips in the summer when school is out. Apple picking. Strawberry picking. Blueberry picking. Asparagus picking. Trips to the Pumpkin Patch. The Topeka Zoo. Deanna Rose Farmstead. The preschool groups we've been involved in. The friends we've met here who have already moved away. The people who I've worked with in church callings, and who have supported me in my church callings. Everyone who has made our family feel welcome, and part of the group. My friends who have come and been excited about the book club I started here. I could go on and on, but if I do I would start thinking about the fact that we're leaving Kansas, and that's not something I can handle right now.
While we're excited to go to Virginia, no one is really looking forward to leaving Kansas. We just keep telling ourselves that maybe we'll find a job back in Kansas in three years and we'll be returning. So really, this is just a 3 year long vacation and then we'll come home.
Besides the people, here's what I'll miss about Kansas:
- Muncher's Bakery cream cheese donuts
- Deanna Rose Farmstead in Overland Park, KS
- The cheese salsa dip at El Mezcal
- Steak and Shake vanilla milkshakes (Do they have these in Virginia?)
- Beautiful fields
- Fields of wheat and corn and soy beans and sunflowers
- Sylas and Maddy's ice cream shop with all of its unique flavors (One of my faves was LadyBug Crunch... Strawberry ice cream with crushed OREOS)
- The local library who has supplied me with almost all of the books I've read over the past 4 years
- A library that has ordered almost every book or dvd that I've asked them to
- Library storytime
- Lawrence's cool downtown
- HS football games in the big college stadiums so our kids think we're at a KU game
- Salty Iguana Mexican Restaurant (my kids LOVE this place, me, not so much)
*There are other great things about California, and we did have some friends there that we've missed, but it doesn't compare to the friends we've had in Kansas these past 4 years.