"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mysteries

I love mysteries. I don't read them quite as much as I did as a kid, but for a good portion of my childhood, my biggest goal was to grow up and write kid's mystery books. Then I reached about 17 and realized that writing mysteries would probably be a bit harder than writing a non-mystery and I gave up on that dream.

Now, blah blah blah years later, I find myself planning a Nancy Drew birthday party, and I need to write clues leading the group of little girls around the park from one clue to another, the ultimate clue leading them to the missing birthday presents. Yikes. I am glad I gave up on that dream of of writing mystery novels because this task alone is more than I can handle. I've made a list of possible places to hide the clues several times, and then I decide that's good enough for now and walk away from the computer figuring I'll let the creative juices flow and fill in the clues later. There are still no clues.

2 comments:

Mormon Scientist said...

Good luck. My mother used to do the same thing for me on my birthdays... we would have a scavenger hunt with clues spread all over the place. It really is a lot harder than it might seem at first to come up with these sort of things!

julie said...

That sounds like an awesome idea for a party! When I was younger, I would read romance after romance novel, and pretty soon I wanted to write a romance novel. That was pretty much my dream until I got to college.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...