"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Wiiiiiiiii

Over Spring Break my kids were introduced to the Nintendo Wii at Grandma and Grandpa's house, specifically Wii Sports. Other than the fighting over which sport to play (which is no different than every day life) they loved it.

Our kids are pack rats . . . I don't know where they get it from {my eyes wander to the ceiling to avoid making eye contact with any of you}. So this introduction and love for the Wii was the perfect opportunity for me to start selling all their toys on ebay, craigslist, and at a yard sale with the promise that with the money we make, we'll buy a Wii. It is something the whole family will enjoy, like nothing else we own, and it takes up way less room than Fisher Price Little People buildings of all varieties and Little Tykes Fred Flintstone style cars.

Plus, Jed and I are seriously dredding packing up and moving everything we own in a few months. When we made the move from California to Kansas 3 1/2 years ago, we figured we were never really moving west again so we brought everything with us (childhood memorabilia, etc.*) This included an incredibly large truck from Budget or Uhaul or somewhere, towing our car that was also packed full (which is not encouraged when towing a car behind said truck). On this trip, I'll be driving the car full of kids so we won't be able to pack every part of it to the roof. And we still had to leave a bunch of stuff behind.**

I thought we'd brought everything we'd ever owned, but as Princess Sparkley has gotten older, I realize that I left all my old Barbie's and their clothes, along with huge assortments of chapter books from my childhood.*** My sweet mother keeps searching through her house, attic, storage shed, etc. for all the specific books I'm looking for, but still hasn't located them all.

And now, we own even more, including a couch and bunkbeds that we didn't bring here with us. Yikes. So we are spring cleaning over here... trying to get rid of stuff, earn some money for a Wii, and not set a pack rat example for our kids. I keep telling them, "See, mom and dad are getting rid of stuff to," as I drive a huge box of VHS tapes to Goodwill.



*Which reminds me there is a sandbox somewhere at my in-law's house that didn't fit in our moving truck, so when they moved to St. Louis a year after us, they brought it with them... maybe we'll pick it up on our move further east... I guess it depends on where we end up living.

**Including a cat, but that was Tallulah's own fault for refusing to get in the truck.

*** I'm starting to panic that she's fast approaching Babysitter's Club prime reader age and my enormous, painstakingly obtained, read and reread collection is lost at my parents' in California.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

My kids have been recycling and saving birthday money to buy a Wii. But I really like the idea of selling some toys to go towards a Wii! Did you make the final decision on which school Brandon will go to? Good Luck!

Kristi said...

That's a great idea! I need to find something to buy so I can sell all of my kids' toys. I like the Wii because it's technically a video game system, but imo much more appealing.

Erin said...

That is such a great plan. I cannot get my kids to part with anything. Everytime they play in the nursery they tell me how they really loved the dollhouse that I donated to the nursery and how they want it back. Never mind that we have two other bigger dollhouses.

Angela said...

I hate moving! When we moved to Idaho I thought I was going to die because of all the stuff we had. We started giving away tons of stuff, but now I wish I had some of it back.

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

I think before my parents moved from California, they gave the sandbox to your parents.

Michelle said...

You will completely enjoy the Wii as a family. Finally a gaming system we all can agree on. =) We love ours. Once you try the Wii Fit, you will be hooked on that too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...