"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, April 17, 2009

Sleeping


Buddy in December 2008

I'm a night owl. I claim I get it from my mom. Jed is also a night owl, except a lot of the time he's a night owl trying desperately to be a morning bird. I should have such aspirations. I'm up fairly late most nights. But the nights when I'm up exceptionally late, or when I have intentions of going to bed early (10ish) are the nights when my kids follow this routine:

10:30 PM: Princess Sparkley asks, "How do you fall asleep?" We remind her that she's fallen to sleep over 3,000 times in her life time... most recently last night.

10:35 PM: PS gets mad that we've shut our bedroom door because then everyone is asleep and she's the only one awake and that's scary. We tell her to go to sleep then.

10:40 PM: PS is scared because we've turned off the hallway light.

Then I can do all the stuff I can't do during the day. The stuff I can't do while Baby X is awake, or the other kids. Exciting things like watching TV or folding laundry or doing the dishes. Fun. This should all start at 8 PM when we put our kids in bed but they annoy us for the next 2-3 hours so we get nothing done and are grumpy.

Then, when I finally do get in bed the routine goes something like this:

11:40 PM: Laying in bed.

12:30 AM: Baby X wakes up. 95% of the time, the only way to get him back to sleep in the middle of the night is a bottle.

1:00 AM: I'm back in bed trying to fall asleep.

1:50 AM: PS comes into my room because she's scared of something. Or she needs a drink but is scared to walk the four feet to the bathroom alone.

2:00 AM: I walk PS back to her bed and tuck her in. Buddy gives me a heart attack when he says from the top bunk, "I can't fall to sleep." This has happened three times this week now. Usually he's out cold for the night. I don't know what's waking him up. I open their door and go back to bed.

Some time between 3 and 6 Jed's alarms start going off. This depends on how early he went to sleep, how much homework or studying he needs to do before school in the morning, etc. At 6 my first alarm goes off, this is to make sure Jed is waking up. It goes off again at 7 because he has to make a 7:30 bus. If I'm lucky, the kids stay asleep longer. Buddy is usually up between 8 and 8:30. We're supposed to wake them up between 7 and 7:30 so they go to bed at night without a problem. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. Luckily we're entering the warm weather part of the year so we take a LONG walk each night to wear them out.

I'm usually fairly good at falling back to sleep. As someone who lays in bed for hours before he can fall asleep, Jed hates this about me. But lately, when the kids are waking me up so frequently, I've barely fallen back to sleep before they are waking me up again. It's driving me nuts.

We follow regular nightly routines of book reading, prayers, teeth brushing, etc. Buddy, can fall asleep quickly 75% of the time. A lot of the time he'll complain that he can't fall to sleep and I'll tell him to try and I'll come back in ten minutes. In ten minutes he's out cold. PS is a different story. The girl can't go to sleep. She can't shut her brain down. At least now that she can read, she has something to do... but at the same time now she has something to do. And it's not like the fits I have to deal with when we go to the dentist... THIS IS EVERY NIGHT!!

1 comment:

LisAway said...

I wonder if it's girls or if it's just OUR girls because Evie has this problem, too. Sometimes she falls asleep okay, but she wakes up when we go to bed. It's not every night, either, but she stresses all the time that she won't be able to fall asleep. I talk to her every day about how her day was (she has some lame friends like most girls and I thought that might be part of her problem) and make sure she really has been doing her homework etc. Also, we just let her read in bed until she feels ready to sleep. I think it might be getting better, but I don't know how long we'll struggle with this. (at least she doesn't wake me up at night!) Sorry! Hope it gets better for both of your sakes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...