"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Astronauts

Princess Sparkley brought home a paper from school the other day about a thing NASA was doing at the University of Kansas where people could come and touch one of only 7 moon rocks on Earth. So, we met Jed up on campus Tuesday afternoon and touched a moon rock. The kids loved it. I think we were all a little disappointed in the moon rock... it was slightly larger than a quarter but not shaped like a circle and basically looked and felt like a button made from plastic. BUT, we can say we touched a piece of the moon (except Baby X because we felt weird trying to make him stick his hand under the little plastic bridge thing to touch it). These pictures were the coolest part (and the only part we had to wait in line for... a LONG line). Buddy refused. PS and I did it. Enjoy us in space...








I was a little paranoid the whole time we were in line because really, how much does the average person know about space, or the International Space Station and how it was built. These were the kinds of questions I was having to answer from my kids as all these other (possibly more space savvy) people listened in. My kids have good, unanwerable by the average person, questions. Or just questions about the trailer attached to a sort of jolly jump building that we were standing in.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I was wondering what that big NASA tent thing was. Do you know how long is it open?

Angela said...

Thats funny! Once I visited NASA when I was in Houston, it was really cool. I have a similar picture of myself.

Kristi said...

I was expecting a softball sized rock with holes that you could stick your fingers in! It reminded me of a piece of hematite except that it was greasy from all the people touching it. Do you think they would have let me use a wet-one on it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...