"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, March 23, 2009

Wasting Time

I get super frustrated when my husband has stuff he NEEDS to do, but spends hours getting ready to do it. He can't do homework until not just the desk is clean, but the room, the entire house, etc. Then he plays Solitaire for a bit.

But you should never judge a person. The title of the book Walk Two Moons (by Sharon Creech) comes from the phrase, "Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccassins." So, basically, don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Jed has given me this assignment to write a book lengthed manuscript by our next anniversary. Unfortunatey, our anniversary is quickly approaching. I have one month and one week remaining and I've only written about seven pages.

This is what happens. Each night after the kids are finally in bed asleep I'm supposed to write. First the stuff I actually need to do gets in the way. Stuff like loading and starting the dishwasher, picking up the house, loads and loads of laundry, etc.

Then the other stuff gets in the way. Stuff like, watching Arrested Development : Season 2 on dvd with my husband, checking my email 14 times, logging into Facebook, catching up on blog reading, organizing all of my writing music into a playlist on Napster, then downloading more music.

And when I'm finally sort of settled in, thinking I really should write something, I look at it's after 11 and I need go to bed.

Argh.

So this is why my "book" is only 7 pages long and I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I appreciate this post. I am always nagging Nathan for wasting time but I am just as guilty. I just wrote you in an email that I was going to bed, and what do I do? Check out a few more blogs.

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

You don't have me or Arrested Development to blame for last night, lady. I was in bed by nine!

wendys said...

I think most people have the same problem! I have a huge stack of photos I am trying to go through and organize (after the kids are in bed) but I also have a stack of movies from the library that I need to watch before they are due...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...