"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, March 09, 2009

Ice Cream Kolaches



We make aebleskivers to remind the kids of my Danish ancestry. Scones (sort of) to remind us of my English ancestors. Someday I'll have to learn how to make baklava for my husband's Greek ancestry, and corned beef (yuck) for his Irish ancestry.

Jed's paternal grandma was of Bohemian (now the Czech Republic) ancestry. She's a nice wife, so my mother-in-law makes Kolaches for her husband since his mom used to make them for him. In my last Taste of Home magazine there was a recipe for Ice Cream Kolachkes (or Kolaches). I was excited about this as a new recipe to have for a family night when we learned about different ancestors, and because it's a pastry with ice cream as a key ingredient in the dough.

Ice Cream Kolaches (halved)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
2 cups flour
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 can (6 oz.) apricot or raspberry ckae and pastry filling
powdered sugar to sprinkle on top, optional

Directions:
Heat butter in microwave for about 20 seconds to soften since you forgot to take it out of the fridge several hours ago.
Heat ice cream in microwave for about 10 seconds for the same reason.
Beat butter and ice cream until blended (it'll appear curdled). Add flour and sugar; mix well. Divide dough into two portions. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
On a floured surface, roll dough out into a 12 inch by 10 inch rectangle. Cut into 2 inch squares. Place a small spoonful of the filling into the center of each square. Overlap two opposite corners of the pastry and pinch them together tightly to seal.
Bake at 350 for 11-14 minutes (mine took 15-16), or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for a minute then remove from baking sheet. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to your hearts content. Try not to inhale powdered sugar.


They turned out okay. Jed and Princess Sparkley really enjoyed them. Buddy and I liked them a lot. They aren't my favorite dessert, and I haven't had my mother-in-law's in quite awhile so I can't compare them as far as Kolaches go (and she's also not the one with Bohemian blood, it's her husband, so hers might not be authentic either.) The recipe said it made 10 dozen. I halved it and ended up with about 1 dozen. Maybe I didn't roll my dough out thin enough. The recipe also called for the entire can of pie filling (actually, it called for two and I halved it), I have half a can of pie filling sitting in my fridge waiting for me to figure out what I can do with it.

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is so interesting that they have ice cream in the dough. I made kolaches once for the missionary activity when Nathan was talking about Poland. I liked them but thought they were a tremendous amount of work. Yours are very pretty! How about have the pie filling with waffles and cool whip. DINNER!

wendys said...

Wow, ice cream dough! Sounds fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...