"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, March 27, 2009

Free stuff


Today was an awesome day because I got all sorts of free stuff. Okay... not really all sorts. BUT, the Redbox man at our local grocery store gave me two free Redbox rentals as I was shopping for cream of chicken soup. He asked if I ever use that Redbox machine, I answered honestly, "yeah, all the time. I rented something from here this morning." Which, was true, it was my second trip to the grocery store in one day because I forgot two very important items on my first trip.

AND, the other day a woman from Rhodes Bread emailed me to thank me for doing a fun post about making Gorilla Bread out of Rhodes frozen dinner rolls. As a thank you, she wanted to send me some of their new products for free. Yea!

Fastward to today when the FedEx man knocked on my door (and I wasn't in my pjs ((hooray))), and had a big box for me. I had no idea what it could be. Then I read the side and it said perishable. This was super exciting, I've never received something in the mail that was packed in a cooler. So I got a cooler with dry ice and four packs of the new Rhodes Bake n Serv rolls.

The Garlic and Butter Rolls sounded perfect to go with tonight's dinner*, so we tried them out:



Review: YUM. I'm not sure how the technology of these rolls works. It appears as though they arrived partially, but not fully baked and they were frozen. You remove them from their plastic bag and put them directly into the oven to bake. They smelled delicious as they were baking. My kids loved them. Jed loved them. I loved them. Thanks Rhodes Bread!




*This isn't the exact recipe, although I thought this was the blog where I got my recipe. Here's how I make it:

In a crockpot, cook 3 chicken breasts** sprinkled with Good Seasons Italian dressing mix (an envelope of powder) for about 3 hours. Shred chicken and return it to the crockpot. Add 8 oz. of cream cheese*** and two cans of cream of chicken soup***. Cook an additional 2-3 hours. Serve over egg noodles.***

**The original recipe I found called for frozen chicken breasts. The first time I made this recipe I made it this way and it turned out fine, I just used the full time so it was cooking 6-7 hours. But I worry about frozen chicken in a crockpot, so this time the chicken I used wasn't frozen and after the first 3 hours with just Italian dressing seasoning, it seemed a bit dry as I was shredding it... but turned out fine once everything else was added in.

*** Since we're trying to be healthy and all, I used 1/3 fat cream cheese and fat free, low sodium cream of chicken soup and served it on top of whole wheat noodles.

4 comments:

LisAway said...

Sheesh, you're making me comment on every post lately, Nance!

This is so cool. I need to start blogging about Whoppers and Godiva chocolates (how funny: crap candy and top of the line chocolates!) and I'll have to think about what all else. I can't wait to get a lot of free stuff! :)

wendys said...

That's so neat! My blog can't be found through search engines so I don't think that will happen to me. I hope other companies find you soon and do the same thing!

Erin said...

I didn't know that about frozen chicken in the crockpot. I make a very similar recipe and use frozen chicken tenderloins. They are small and cook quickly and we haven't been poisoned yet. That really is cool that they found you and sent all that great stuff! Now you just have to put some adds on the side of your blog and you will be rolling in the dough. :)

Kristi said...

I am going to try the chicken recipe. It sounds really good. It has shown up on three different blogs I read so it must be going around!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...