"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Fairness

Buddy and Princess Sparkley are a lot alike, but also very very different. The best example of their differences are apparent during game playing, or when birthday party invitations arrive. Buddy loves winning games. Buddy loves losing games. Buddy just enjoys playing the game. PS usually refuses to play games for fear she'll lose. And she pouts about it during the entire game when she does play. When birthday party invitations arrive, Buddy is excited that there is a party. PS gets upset because she wasn't invited to the party... it doesn't matter that she goes to way more parties (she's 6 and in school and therefore has more parties to go to) than Buddy... it's unfair. Everything is unfair to her. We had to ban the word fair and she keeps trying to wiggle her away around explaining something to us without saying the word fair, it's actually sort of humorus, if it wasn't also so very very annoying. How do you handle the fairness issue?

4 comments:

Nathan said...

This is a very accurate description of the relationship between Lydia and Ethan!

LisAway said...

Oh, we've banned the word fair before, too. And I have no advice. :)

Erin said...

Hah, Nathan already posted the same comment I was thinking and like Lisa, I have little advice. There was a talk given in our ward by a missionary on mother's day and he said one of the most valuable lessons his mother taught him was "life isn't fair". No matter how much I try to make things fair between my kids, Lydia will ALWAYS perceive that she is getting the short end of the deal. Also, I just tell Ethan he better not tell Lydia we did anything fun while she was at school or I won't take him to do fun things!

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Also on our list of banned phrases is "I can't." Instead they're supposed to say, "I don't know how" or "I need help." In response to these rules, Princess Sparkley has complained to me, "You make it hard to talk because you won't let me say what I want."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...