"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, March 20, 2009

Candy Addiction

I blame my candy addiction on 5 things:

1. The book Candyfreak by Steve Almond which made me appreciate candy on another level, and made me want to try it all.

2. London, or more specifically Cadbury chocolates and Cadbury chocolate vending machines everywhere I looked.

3. My good friend, roommate and grocery shopping buddy when I returned from studying abroad in London. When I should have stopped my London habits of eating candy nonstop, I'd go shopping with her and she'd always get a candy bar at the checkout... a part of the store I'd almost always ignored before then.

4. My dad who is addicted to chocolate in all forms, but mainly semi-sweet chocolate chips and peanut M&Ms.

5. The yummy candies of the world (peanut butter M&Ms, Cadbury mini eggs, Dove chocolate, Twixes, 100 Grands, Riesen chocolate covered caramels, Peanut Butter M&M eggs at Easter time, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Nestle Turtles, etc.).



If you hadn't guessed, my no candy diet didn't make it through Spring Break. It didn't even make it to St. Louis which was our Spring Break destination. We were part of the way there, fighting boredom and falling asleep when I said to Jed, sort of jokingly, "we need a candy stop." We also needed gas so it worked out quite well for us that gas stations carry a wide variety of candy. We stocked up (something we really don't do... as much candy as we eat, our kids don't get nearly any of it). I even let my kids get their favorite candy (Buddy= Skittles, PS= Mike & Ikes) which is something they never get. I made a vow that the candy diet was off since we were on vacation.

Then we were in Chicago and Jed picked up Cadbury mini eggs at Target and I figured since we'd already broken the candy diet, we might as well indulge in the good stuff since it's only around at Easter.

Then we were walking around downtown Chicago and we passed a Fannie May candy store which a friend from Chicago had just told me about, so I went in and bought her favorite kind, Mint Meltaways (or at least what I think is her favorite kind) for Jed and I to try.

Then we were home again, back off candy (for about half a day), and I had a coupon for Dove chocolates (which I almost never buy because they rarely go on sale). They were on sale AND I had a coupon. Plus, they had peanut butter M&M eggs on sale for Easter and I love those as well.

So basically I've fallen off the bandwagon. I'll try again after Easter since the next candy holiday isn't until Halloween... right?

8 comments:

Angela said...

I'd like to think that I have some hand in your candy addiction, don't you think? Or maybe you have a hand in mine...either way I love candy too. Just reading this post has inspired me to take a trip to the vending machince where they have sour patch kids, yum.

LisAway said...

PARDON ME, MA'AM. Did you just mention Cadbury mini eggs? Yes, I think you did. And did you include an apology for Lisa? I don't believe you did.

You're fired.

LisAway said...

Oh, and also if you ever want someone to go off candy with you and check up on you, I nominate. . . ME! I'm doing very poorly right now, too.

Leslie said...

Through all my diet and exercising I can't give up candy. I love it! So I use it as rewards for myself - in moderation. I say this as I eat a mini-snickers.

wendys said...

Maybe instead of giving up candy completely, just cut back a little! That way you won't feel that you are completely depriving yourself.

Erin said...

How were those mint meltaways? We have been giving Lizzy a cadbury egg when she poops in the potty and of course I have to have a few too, each time I get them down. I think I have gained 5 pounds while potty training her. I have no self control.

Rae said...

There are so many fabulous candies out this time of year. It is so hard to give them up!!!!

susette said...

I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥
YOUR VOTE REALLY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...