I blame my candy addiction on 5 things:
1. The book Candyfreak by Steve Almond which made me appreciate candy on another level, and made me want to try it all.
2. London, or more specifically Cadbury chocolates and Cadbury chocolate vending machines everywhere I looked.
3. My good friend, roommate and grocery shopping buddy when I returned from studying abroad in London. When I should have stopped my London habits of eating candy nonstop, I'd go shopping with her and she'd always get a candy bar at the checkout... a part of the store I'd almost always ignored before then.
4. My dad who is addicted to chocolate in all forms, but mainly semi-sweet chocolate chips and peanut M&Ms.
5. The yummy candies of the world (peanut butter M&Ms, Cadbury mini eggs, Dove chocolate, Twixes, 100 Grands, Riesen chocolate covered caramels, Peanut Butter M&M eggs at Easter time, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Nestle Turtles, etc.).
If you hadn't guessed, my no candy diet didn't make it through Spring Break. It didn't even make it to St. Louis which was our Spring Break destination. We were part of the way there, fighting boredom and falling asleep when I said to Jed, sort of jokingly, "we need a candy stop." We also needed gas so it worked out quite well for us that gas stations carry a wide variety of candy. We stocked up (something we really don't do... as much candy as we eat, our kids don't get nearly any of it). I even let my kids get their favorite candy (Buddy= Skittles, PS= Mike & Ikes) which is something they never get. I made a vow that the candy diet was off since we were on vacation.
Then we were in Chicago and Jed picked up Cadbury mini eggs at Target and I figured since we'd already broken the candy diet, we might as well indulge in the good stuff since it's only around at Easter.
Then we were walking around downtown Chicago and we passed a Fannie May candy store which a friend from Chicago had just told me about, so I went in and bought her favorite kind, Mint Meltaways (or at least what I think is her favorite kind) for Jed and I to try.
Then we were home again, back off candy (for about half a day), and I had a coupon for Dove chocolates (which I almost never buy because they rarely go on sale). They were on sale AND I had a coupon. Plus, they had peanut butter M&M eggs on sale for Easter and I love those as well.
So basically I've fallen off the bandwagon. I'll try again after Easter since the next candy holiday isn't until Halloween... right?