"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, February 23, 2009

Start Writing

It's a bit discouraging when a person like me (ie: a closet future novelist) finds out about other writers. You know, the guy who is your clerk at the toy store but has informed you that he's writing a novel in his spare time. Or all of the people my husband has met at Jeopardy auditions who are writing a book (or when we were in LA, a screenplay). Basically, it seems somedays that everyone wants to write the next great American novel. And while I do have a file on my computer called "the next great American novel" filled with other files with story titles, none come close to being novel-lengthed. None come close to being much more than two pages.

Jed got on my case a few months ago because I don't have any goals he can help me accomplish. So he gave me the assignment of coming up with goals. After I failed that assignment, he came up with a goal for me. He gave me a story idea (and using it, or my own idea) I have to complete a book-(or novella)lengthed story by our anniversary (April 28th). Yikes.

Then, my friend Marta (who isn't technically my friend, but her husband Dan is one of my favorite college buddies, and through her blog, I feel like she's a friend as well) has started an online writing club. (Wish I'd had that idea!) It starts today, go check out her blog and start writing with me, Marta, the toy store clerk, and everyone else.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...