"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rhodes Rolls Cinnamon Knots

When I was a kid, a woman from church brought a huge stoneware bowl full of monkey bread over to our house for my brother. I don't remember what the occasion was, maybe just that he loved monkeys (I often forget that as a kid and teen his room was completely decorated with monkeys) and she's just discovered this recipe for monkey bread. I also remember that the Smurf movie was on tv and I sat at the stool at our kitchen island watching the Smurfs on our tiny kitchen tv while devouring as much monkey bread as I could. Mmmm.

So I wanted to make heart shaped muffins or something for Valentine's Day breakfast (which turned into a Valentine's Day afternoon snack). Then I decided to make heart shaped cinnamon rolls and found this easy recipe here.

First I sprayed a 9X13 pan with Pam, placed a dozen frozen Rhodes Rolls in and covered it with Saran Wrap. Then I placed the pan on top of my dryer while I washed and dried clothes all morning. This worked great when it's too cold anywhere else to get dough to rise.


After the dough was roll-sized, Princess Sparkley helped me roll each ball into a snake.


Then I tied them in a knot, dipped them in butter and sprinkled them with cinnamon-sugar.


I placed each roll in a heart shaped silicone muffin wrapper. You could use a regular muffin tin. You could also probably just put them back in the 9x13 pan.


Then they went back on top of the dryer to rise again.


Once I was happy with how big they were, I baked them for 15-20 minutes at 350.


And iced them with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 TBSP butter, 2-3 TBSP milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Yum.

2 comments:

wendys said...

Those look great! I use the trick of letting the dough raise on the dryer as well, it works good.

Em said...

I grew up on Rhodes Rolls in Utah and they can't be found on the East Coast!!
Everything about them brings back sweet memories. I use to eat them raw and frozen!

Just another Blogger passing through....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...