"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Fear of Round Brushes

I went to get my hair cut today. I go back and forth between chin length hair (sometimes shorter) and long hair. I like long hair because it requires no haircuts and it can easily be pulled into a bun or ponytail, but I have super fine hair and it looks best short. I've hit a rut I hit every two years or so when I decide I need to chop my hair off because I'm sick oh how it looks in a ponytail EVERY DAY. So I chopped it to my chin again today. Well, I didn't do any chopping, I paid someone to chop for me. And when I was sitting in the chair, contemplating my new look, I realized that I'm a bit afraid of round brushes. You know, the ones you use to blow dry your hair under or straight. It all goes back to about third grade when I had this awesome new round brush in a rainbow of pastel colors. My mom was brushing my hair under before school and the brush got ... stuck. Yep, stuck. I was late to school that day because we spent the better half of the morning trying to figure out how to get the brush out without having to cut out a huge chunk of hair. We cut out some of the bristles, but in the end we ended up having to cut out a block of hair. Luckily it was under all my other hair at the base of my neck, and it grew back. Hence my fear of the round brush... I'm still a bit hesitant when using a round brush, when having one used on me, or when using one on my daughter's hair.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I used to have that fear too. Though the bigger the brush, the harder it is to get tangled. I bet your hair looks cute.

Angela said...

I used to have a curling iron that was a round brush. That was scary because every time I got my hair caught it could potentially burn off. Congrats on cutting your hair, I always want to cut my hair short, but then chicken out and only cut a little and the minute I cut even a little off I get sad for longer hair again. I'm weird, you already know this about me...

Cristin said...

I got one stuck too, but never that bad. Now I love round brushes. I even go to special beauty supply places to get the biggest ones I can!

LisAway said...

I am terrified of them. I have usually used a fat old curing iron but I spent one summer using a round brush. All I found was that I was sweating again, right after my shower, my arms hurt and my hair didn't hold it's shape well and didn't even have any more body than with the curling iron (because I dry my hair upside down-with mousse on it). Plus, since I have that super fine hair too, with mousse on my hair, the heat of the dryer on my hair in the round brush just was not even a tenth as effective as the heat of the curling iron. (Plus, I have had my hair caught too. I'm sure everyone has who's used one, just not with such a dramatic ending as you!)

I have never looked back. Bye bye round brushes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...