"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book Report: Paper Towns by John Green


image from www.amazon.com

My friend Jazzy (hi Jazzy!) recommended this book to me, Paper Towns by John Green, so I requested it from the library and then hurriedly read it because someone had it on hold after me.

Language and sexual references aside*, I loved this book. I thought it was very well written and it was just such an interesting, fun story. I think I've convinced my husband that he should read it (once the library has it available again) because this seems like the sort of book he'd enjoy if he read young adult books like I do.

The story is basically two kids grow up next door to each other, a boy and a girl, who when they are teenagers have grown into a nerdy boy and a super popular girl, and whose friendship has grown apart. One night, she climbs in his bedroom window and thus begins a wild, adventurous night but the next day she's gone missing. He feels like she wants him to find her, and begins another adventure trying to find and follow her clues.

*It's a book written by a guy, about some teenage guys, with a teenage guy as the main character... language and sexual references are what you'd expect knowing that.

2 comments:

jazzykins said...

NKL- So glad you liked Paper Towns. I found John Green a while ago and love his writing. He is just so smart! And despite the "guy stuff" that is inevitable with guy books, this is one of my favorite YA books. What are you reading now? I'm slowly getting through 3 Willows by Ann Brashares (The Sisiterhood author). it's slow-going not because of the book but because I'm not in readin gmode. Do you ever do that?

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

You folks wonder why guys don't read YA lit., but then you discount the "guy stuff" in YA lit. It sounds like in your book YA lit. just means "introductory chick lit."
/Just sayin'.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...