"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Book Review: Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson



image from amazon.com

Laurie Halse Anderson is quickly becoming one of my favorite young adult authors. I'm amazed with the wide range of subject matters of her books. The first book I read of hers, Speak, made her famous and dealt with teenage rape. A serious subject that she handled very well. Since then I've read some more typical teen lit from her. Then this book, Chains, it's historical fiction. I can imagine in my mind someday tackling the writing of a teen novel. No where can I imagine tackling historical fiction. She does a marvelous job of it. Her characters are endearing (well, the ones who are supposed to be, some are also very easy to hate), it made me cry, and I learned a lot about slavery and the American Revolution and slaveries part in the American Revolution, if that makes sense.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...