"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, December 15, 2008

Scones

At some point, before I was born, my parents decided our family should recognize the culture's of our ancestors. My dad's father was Danish, his mother was English. My mom's family is mostly English. Thus came to be the traditions of aebleskivers (which I wrote about briefly here) and scones.

Here's the thing about my family's version of scones, and real British scones with clotted cream... they are way different. When I lived in London for a shortened semester, one of my top priorities was going somewhere for High Tea. I don't know why. But that's what I wanted to do. Not for the tea, I don't drink tea, but for the atmosphere and the scones. But British scones are more like a ... sweet biscuit for lack of any more coherent thoughts or descriptions. (See the wikipedia description here.)

My family's scones are basically fried dough. Here's the unofficial recipe. Oh, but first, here's when we eat it. Right now my church time is at 11 o'clock in the morning. Lunchtime. So when we return home at 2 PM we are starving. If I'm on the ball, I get everything in the crockpot before church for a roast or something of the sort that'll be ready when we walk in the door. And we eat a lunch/dinner at about 2:3o. For a dinner/dessert later that night we have scones. More filling and healthier (kind of) than an actual dessert.

Scones

Ingredients:
Rhodes frozen rolls or Rhodes Sweet Bread Frozen Loaves
vegetable oil
butter
jam
honey
powdered sugar

Directions:
Thaw dough according to package directions. Let rise. Punch down and make ball of the dough tearing holes in the middle so they are donut-esque. Let rise again. Heat vegetable oil in shallow frying pan over medium heat. Place dough in pan. Turn. Once both sides are a nice light brownish color, place them on paper towels to soak up extra oil.

Serve with butter, honey, powdered sugar. Or with butter, jam, powdered sugar. And a big glass of milk.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...