"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Pie

I liked how Jamie posted her holiday menu here. Here's giving it a go*:

Christmas Eve Dinner: eat out at a Chinese restaurant, possibly the one that Buddy thought was a Panda store.

Christmas Breakfast: Princess Sparkley asked to be in charge this year. She wants to have these knock-off apple jacks because they are red and green. With orange juice, because Jed's family tradition is that they have to drink a glass of orange juice before coming downstairs to open presents.

Christmas Brunch/Lunch: after opening presents, we'll have our real breakfast at lunchtime.
Scrambled eggs
Hash Browns

Christmas Dinner:
Cheese Potato Casserole (aka Funeral Potatoes)
steamed Asparagus
Rolls (possibly homemade if I'm feeling ambitious)
sparkling Apple Cider (Jed's family tradition)

Christmas Dessert: I've debated on this. I know I can make whatever I want... last year I tried a candy cane cake that turned out horrible. So I'm wanting to stick to a traditional pie of some sort this year. I was going to go with this double layer pumpkin cheesecake recipe but I think I'll make my mom's Peppermint Ice Cream Pie instead (which as I look at the recipe card, she got from a friend of hers thirty years ago). Here's the recipe:

Peppermint Ice Cream Pie
2/3 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
7 oz. coconut
peppermint or candy cane ice cream
hot fudge syrup

For the crust**, melt chocolate chips and butter. Add milk. Stir in coconut. Spread on bottom of a pie tin and up sides. Freeze 20 minutes. Then fill with slightly softened peppermint ice cream. Freeze. Serve with fudge syrup and whipped cream on top.

*This menu is dependent that I made it to the grocery store at some point today... but I'm waiting for a UPS package to be delivered and don't want to miss it in case I need to sign for it. And, according to the UPS website, they normally deliver from 9-7 but due to the holidays, it could be later. And my grocery store closes at 5. So, we'll see. I'm about to explain how to sign for a package to my kids so I can take a shower.
**I'm personally going to buy an already made chocolate pie crust since I despise coconut. As a kid, I treated the crust of this pie like a bowl and just ate everything from inside of it, ignoring the crust.


The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Tasty asparagus at every meal? Why do you hate me?

Erin said...

That sounds so delicious! I forgot to put my ham in on Christmas day so we had it the next. I have made that double layer cheesecake a couple times and I love it! The ice cream pie looks really yummy too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...