"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Technology Hates Us

While I love the life that modern technology provides, neither my husband or myself are especially gadget savvy. Our lack of expertise on all things electronic makes it so we are constantly frustrated by how the technology we do have isn't working the way we want it to. Not to the point where I want to throw it in the trash, but close. On Sunday a man speaking in church mentioned wanting to throw his computer in the trash. This totally flabbergasted Princess Sparkley who leaned over to me with wide eyes and said, "Did he just say he wanted to throw his computer in the trash?"

Jed is pretty certain that technology hates us. If it is electronic and we've owned it, it's partially or fully not functioning properly. Take our TV for instance, to begin with it's some weird brand that made it almost impossible to find the right connections to hook it up to a DVD player and a VCR (yes, surprisingly our VCR has survived all these years). Now the TV has these colored blotches on parts of the screen. But we're too cheap, and don't care enough to replace it. It works, it just isn't giving 100%.

We aren't on our first DVD player, we're on our second... soon to be third because Baby X has chewed on the DVD remote control enough that we can't push the up, down and side to side buttons, which, are surprisingly necessary when navigating through DVD menus these days. Jed has a friend who is going to sell us one of hers for $5 or else we'd probably keep suffering through with the broken remote. We are also on our second portable DVD player. I'm not even sure how to count up our computers. This is my third. Jed's second. But somewhere in there we tried to build one from the old ones, and it didn't completely work out perfectly. Just like technology to treat us that way.

Today my cell phone tried to kill itself. It vibrated itself off of the perch I'd set it on and has a big crack in the screen. And it's not like I even have one of those slide phones. I don't even have a flip phone. I have its predecessor. Maybe it was just so ashamed of its outdatedness it tried to take its own life. Ha. Little does it know that I'll keep using it until it has stopped working altogether. Much like Jed's friend, the one giving us the $5 dvd player, whose phone's speaker doesn't work so she can only receive text messages, which we aren't savvy enough to know how to send, and so when he called her to pick up the bookshelf we got from her last week, she just had to yell directions to her house at the phone because she knew why he was calling, but wouldn't be able to hear him speak.

7 comments:

Cristin said...

Why don't you just keep the DVD player and get a new remote, like a universal one?

Nance said...

Cristin- That does seem like the smart thing to do. BUT... the dvd player is only costing $5 (less than a univ. remote) and in the past, we have had a hard time finding accessories that work with our TV. I think we tried to find a universal remote for it when we first got it and had no success.

wendys said...

I hate buying new technology. I had to buy a new cell phone because mine kept turning off randomly, even in the middle of conversations. It wouldn't stay on more than 30 seconds even when plugged in. And it was only 2 years old. Arrgg.

Jamie said...

I hear ya. Jake is all savvy, but me? I'm like Zoolander when they were jumping on the desk like monkeys wacking the computer because the files were "inside" the computer and they were trying to figure out how to turn it on or open it or something. I guess this only makes sense if you've seen Zoolander. Please tell me you have.

I keep points with technology. So far technology is winning.

LisAway said...

The hubs is great with computer stuff, but we're not really good with much else.

We are at a severe low financially and in the course of the last month our VCR, DVD player, and CD player all died. LOVE that. But at least we won't have to be dealing too much with "technology" until we get rich (any day now...).

I love that Pricess Sparkley asked you if she heard correctly in Sacrament meeting. Good listener!! :)

Angela said...

My cell phone is a flip, but the flip is broken so it now flops open and close like a dead fish. Its annoying because I always have to hold it a certain way or it will hang up on people. P.S. you are very smart at computers, I just barely learned how to put pictures on my blog and you do all sorts of cute things...

Nance said...

Jamie- we own Zoolander. I love Owen Wilson like I love Hugh Grant. I love how Hans and Derek Zoolander look at the computer like "OH!! It's in it" and then try to figure out how to open it up. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...