"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Raising your kids to love reading


evidence that we're raising our kids to love books

My mom, a former kindergarten and first grade teacher, buys one of two things for baby shower gifts. 1) Clothes that won't fit the kid for years. Which is actually really nice because in my experience, every baby gift I've received was 0-3 months. My mom tends to buy 18-24 month sizes for gifts. 2) She gives books. I love this and try to do it as often as I can (but sometimes I succumb to the uber adorable baby clothes that are out there). Recently she started giving this book, The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.

Yesterday my mom sent me this article that a woman wrote about raising your kids to love reading. I'm fairly certain at this point in my life that if my kids end up hating books, it will be because there were always too many around, too much reading happening all the time. Possibly that they were ignored while we read. But I'm thinking they'll just keep loving books forever. I loved the article anyway.

3 comments:

Cristin said...

Your mom gives great baby shower gifts. I always try to give books also. I'm surprised that I am usually the only one who gives books.

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

The "fat and ugly husband" photo montage was really something special.
Honestly, with each picture I've gained another 50 pounds and dropped a point on the "Hot or Not" scale (which is universally recognized as the acceptable scale of "attractiveness," or "hawtness," if you will).

Nancy said...

Argh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...