"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Not-Reading

My mom sends me all sorts of newspaper clippings, Family Circus comics for the kids, wedding announcements for kids who graduated from high school the same as me, etc. She just keeps an envelope ready to put them in and every few weeks a get a thick envelope in the mail full of fun things to look through. Recently she clipped something called "Not-Reading Statistics." I don't know the source, so I don't know how accurate this is, but I found it shocking.

Not-Reading Statistics
  • One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
  • Forty-two percent of college graduates never read another book.
  • Eighty percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
  • Fifty-seven percent of new books are not read to completion.
  • Seventy percent of Americans haven't visited a bookstore in five years.
If this is true, all I can say is ... wow. And sad.

5 comments:

Rae said...

What? Amazing! I hope these statistics are not accurate! That would just be too sad!

If only 30% of Americans visit bookstores can you imagine how CROWDED B&N or Borders would be if the percentage were higher? My local bookstore is always hopping. They would have to build a few more!

I love how your mom sends you clippings. So sweet!

Jamie said...

That can't be true! I always wonder about these studies/statistics though. how skewed are they? When Jake was in school he was a research assistant for a logistics class in the sociology department or something like that, and he found out that most of the studies we read are way inaccurate, but at the same time, i think there's a reason the study turns out the way it does, because there are problems worth taking note of. I watched some program on tv once where a guy who graduated from high school was learning how to read for the first time. How do you graduate without knowing how to read? And we just got a letter in the mail from Penny's school, and the school failed in the No Child Left Behind requirements and we have the option of sending her to another school. Now that's just sad. Anyway, I have a lot to say about this stuff! I love that your mom sends you a big ole thing of random clippings etc. I would love that.

wendys said...

That's so crazy. I actually think I've met some of those people and they would be better off trying to pick up a book once in a while.

VAWritingQT said...

You should check out the statistics on illiteracy. Even more shocking. Here's a good site: http://education-portal.com/articles/Illiteracy:_The_Downfall_of_American_Society.html

the doze said...

Even though I would never consider myself to be a reader... somehow, I am in the minority on these statistics. I have read a book in the past year, I have been in a bookstore, and I have purchased a book. Hooray for me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...