"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Haunted Houses


image from bluebison.net

When Jed and I had been married for almost a year we made a quick trip from our home in California to Utah to attend my BFF Angela's flute recital at BYU. For whatever reason, haunted houses came up. One of her friends or roommates asked our opinions on haunted houses. I didn't know Jed's. He didn't know mine. She laughed about how little we knew about each other, probably assuming that we were some young couple who'd dated a few weeks, gotten engaged, and been married a few weeks later. Little did she know that we've now actually known each other 24 years. Crazy, I know. Makes me seem older than I am. At the time I guess we'd only known each other about 17 years. Not long enough to know each other's opinions on life's all important topics... like haunted houses and such.

**Added later- my opinion about haunted houses has been asked. Hmm. That's just the thing. I don't know that I really have an opinion one way or the other. Back when I was in high school and college, the thing about haunted houses and scary movies was having a boy to cling to when you were frightened. Now I have one whenever I want, so I don't really need a haunted house. And I don't so much like being scared either. I can't remember what either of us told the girl. I think we both had about the same opinion... no opinion. I mean, we've never been to one together. So we obviously don't like them a lot. But I don't think we hate them either. Blah blah blah.

4 comments:

LisAway said...

I really love that you guys have known each other forever. And I love how you mention it now and again.

Haunted houses! Oh, I miss America. Now that we're in a house of our own (not literally) that has the potential to be scary with lots of doors everywhere, maybe I'll get it together and have a haunted house for the kids friends...

Jamie said...

Well, what are your thoughts/opinions on haunted houses. . .

Angela said...

Do you mean real haunted houses or the ones they have at Halloween? One of my favorite books, The Westing Game features a haunted house and I love it. Halloween haunted houses make me freaked out before and during, but it is HILARIOUS to laugh at how hard you screamed after. Do you remember when we went to the Haunted Forest in American Fork one year? That was the scariest one ever.

Nance said...

I guess I don't believe in real haunted houses, but think the idea of them is fun. That's the mystery lover in me. Westing House was Jed's favorite book as a kid too. We bought it for one of our nephews birthdays a bit ago. As for Halloween haunted houses. I don't like being scared in that way. Suspenseful movies and books are okay, but I don't want stuff jumping out at me and grabbing at my ankles, etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...