"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, October 13, 2008

Creative Lunches

I get bored making three meals a day for people. I don't think I'm the only one. Especially lunches. Breakfast is easy: bowls of cereal, oatmeal, toast, cereal bars or granola bars. And for some reason, it doesn't matter that there are so few options. It seems like our lunches are sandwiches of these varieties: peanut butter and jam, peanut butter and honey, ham, turkey, cheese. Or noodles, either Macaroni and Cheese or just plain noodles with Parmesan cheese on top. BORING. So today I mixed it up. Buddy is having oatmeal for lunch. Princess Sparkley is having a tortilla with peanut butter in it, rolled up. I sprinkled a couple of chocolate chips in as a fun surprise. As she was eating and came across a chocolate chip she said, "Are you Grandpa Lund?"*

*from here: The other day, we ran out of candy bars, and I found myself eating milk chocolate chips** out of a tiny Dixie cup... I've turned into my dad (although he prefers semi-sweet).

** I had to open a jumbo sized bag of chocolate chips from Sam's Club the other day just to use 1 cup of them in a recipe. This is bad news because there is also no candy in the house. So I keep walking past the cupboard and taking just one more handful. Over and over and over again.

7 comments:

Cristin said...

Funny you mention the chocolate chips, today I gave Luke 3 chocolate chips as a reward for going potty in the toilet and I thought, "This is stupid. They are CHOCOLATE CHIPS."

wendys said...

Let me get this straight... You normally have candy bars in the house? Wow. I would have loved visiting when I was a kid.

Kristi said...

I've been stealing from our jumbo Costco bag too. I was finally caught after about a week when Erik asked me how come there were chocolate chips on top of the microwave door everyday.

Nance said...

Kristi- your comment is cracking me up. My husband often tells me about random stuff going on up high in our house where I can't see it. Or he finds hidden candy much quicker than I expected because to him, it's right there when to me it's hidden up high.

Angela said...

I hate thinking of lunches. Adam doesn't have access to a microwave at work so I always have to send him with sandwiches, he must hate them by now, but I have no choice. At least its cold here now so I can send him something besides PB&J.

Nance said...

Wendy-

I'm a bit of a candy addict... had you not caught on to that? :) I shouldn't always have candy in the house... but I often do.

wendys said...

Nance, I guess I just didn't realize how serious the problem was! I thought it was mostly confined to baking desserts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...