"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Book Report: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


image from amazon.com


This book took me forever to read. Not as long as Clear and Present Danger (by Tom Clancy). I've been on the same page of that book for at least ten years. Or Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell (which I swear I'll finish someday). It just took several weeks. Nonfiction does that to me. Fiction I can usually get through in 1-3 days, maybe a week if it's hard getting started. Nonfiction is slow and painful for me, even if it's enjoyable, which this book is.

I read a review of this book that mentioned a lot of swearing and sex. At the time, I was only 1/3 of the way into it, only in the "Eat" part. I had to stop and think about it before I agreed about the language. But at the time, the writer was celibate*. So she talked about sex in a "I've chosen not to have any" way, missing it, wondering if the right guy came along, should she change her mind about celibacy. Then I persevered through the "Pray" part, which was a lot about Yoga, not something I'm interested in. And I got to the "Love" part, where sex IS talked about, quite a bit. So I'd have to agree with the review I read, if you're sensitive to this sort of thing, this isn't the book for you. Otherwise, I enjoyed the story, the self-discovery that Elizabeth Gilbert goes through, and the way she tells her story.


*Rivers Cuomo, of Weezer fame, was celibate for awhile. On Weezer's Weezer Weezer Red Album**, there's a song called "Troublemaker" that says, "And people will crane necks, to get a glimpse of me and see if I am having sex." That cracks me up every time. And if my kids are in ear shot, forces me to sing very loudly over the real lyrics... "and see if I am with my ex." I learned this form of substitution from a kid named Justin Cash my freshman year at BYU, he'd sing "like a mother mixin' salad" instead of "mother f-ing...."

**Note to Ben and Angela... I didn't like this album at all at first. I totally love it now. There are a few songs I don't love. But I think I like them all. Oh, and my kids love it too. Especially "Troublemaker" and "Pork and Beans." They totally rock out to the chourus on "Pork and Beans." I tried to film it on the webcam, but the cd was in the car and the webcam and the computer's music player did not work well together.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yeah you have come to my side! I love this album, its not my fave weezer album, but I really like listening to it. That is a hilarious memory about Justin C! I am so happy the kids rock out to Weezer, it means that the cycle will continue and Weezer Rock Out Parties will live on forever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...