"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, September 15, 2008

Shout out to Little Bear


image from Noggin

First, do people still give "shout outs"? I haven't watched MTV's TRL in approximately 8 years, so I'm not sure. I guess I can assume that I'm no longer hip and that people no longer give shout outs.

Today while Princess Sparkley and I were working on her homeschool/virtual school Language Arts lesson we read The Land of Counterpane by Robert Louis Stevenson. As I'm reading it, Princess Sparkley says, "They use this in Little Bear." Really? Cool. So when we get to the end of the poem, and the lines:
I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

I recognize the phrase "pillow hill" which is the title of the Little Bear episode to which Princess Sparkley was referring.

How cool is it that some Noggin television show for preschoolers is using real literary masterpieces, if not to directly quote, to base episodes on? Pretty cool, I think. Unfortunately, my kids had to point this out to me since, while I believe I've watched the "Pillow Hill" episode, I didn't immediately think of this poem. I should have. I did afterall major in English.

1 comment:

Erin said...

How cool is it that your kid is reading Robert Louis Stevenson in first grade. I don't thing Lydia's first grade class ever got past Frog and Toad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...