"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Politics


image from here

I grew up in a ... politically aware household, I guess. We used to joke a lot that my brother was basically the real-life version of Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties. And not just our family thought that, other people told us this as well. I always remember the episode when Alex P. Keaton is a teenager flashing pictures of past presidents at his baby brother Andy sitting in a high chair. It seemed like the kind of thing my brother would do. He and Jed waited in line over night to pay their respects at Richard Nixon's viewing when Jed and I were in high school and my brother was older. They did the same thing a few years ago with my brother's oldest son when Ronald Reagan died (his library is near my parent's house in California).

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm politically aware. I grew up with it. And then I married it. But it isn't something that I would claim on my own as an interest. I'm politically aware because a person should be. But I'm not going to spend a lot of time blogging about it, or talking about it (except for with Jed because I'm a nice wife and it's a subject that interests him). But I am going to blog about it this once with just a few thoughts.

1. I have no idea for whom to vote.

2. I'm happy that Hillary Clinton is not the Democratic nominee because Jed and I made a deal several years ago that we'd move to another English speaking country if she was president. I think we finally decided on Ireland.

3. I don't know how I feel about Sarah Palin as the Republican's Vice Presidential candidate, but I do know that I'm not holding her teenage daughter's pregnancy against her.

4. Why is everyone so obsessed with the fact that Bristol Palin's baby daddy listed on his MySpace page that he doesn't want kids? He's 18... I'm pretty sure that's normal for an 18 year old boy. Especially because most teenage boys don't plan on getting their teenage girlfriend pregnant. Even if (which I'm too lazy to log into my neglected MySpace account to check, but I think there's a "someday" option for if you want kids) there is a "someday" or "in the future" option, my experience with teenage boys is that they aren't really focused on someday having a family.

5. While I'm very pro-life and pro-adoption, and I would love for Briston Palin to be able to place her baby for adoption, I can see the difficulty in that happening when her mom is running for VP of the United States and every news source out there is trying to dig up some dirt. How can she have a baby, place it with a family and expect it all to stay anonymous and out of the news?

Those are my thoughts. It may be the most political I ever get on my blog. Happy voting in November.

3 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Your choices were 1. Israel, 2. Czech Republic (which wants English speakers to start calling it Czechia), and 3. Ireland. You picked Ireland because you wouldn't have to learn a new language.
And, BTW, don't think you're out of the woods yet. Hillary wants Obama to lose and McCain to die and she'll have virtually no opposition in 2012.

Cristin said...

Whoa, this is political.

I have also struggled with who to vote for, until recently. I've decided that although McCain isn't my "knight in shining armor," a vote for the Libertarian candidate or a write-in is a vote for Obama and I can't support his politics. It's a tough choice.

Moody said...

#2 made me laugh! I'm with you on that one though. And I don't understand the "scandal" of the teenage boy's myspace page. He's probably still not sure if he wants kids. He's a teenager for Pete's sake! (found you via Away From It All)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...