"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Illegal Shopping

So today is a no shop day in our family (we only shop on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, which I explained a little bit here). It's a new thing we're trying out and we aren't over the top strict about it. But we try our best. Today I didn't try so hard. It was the early out day for Princess Sparkley's school, which meant I actually had time to go to Sam's Club (about 30-40 minutes away) and run some other errands around there. So we spent money on a coat for Princess Sparkley, shoes for Baby X, a ton of stuff at Sam's Club, and that was it. I let Sam's Club trips be excused from the no shop day rule because it happens when it can happen and sometimes it falls on a no shop day. Then I had to make cookies for one of Jed's classes. And I was 1/4 cup of flour short. So I ran up the street to the store. Then I got home, solved that problem and realized we're out of brown sugar (I was 1 1/2 cups sort). Argh. So I ran back up the street. I would have abandoned it all if I hadn't already started creaming the butter and sugar. And it was 10 o'clock at night so it wasn't like I could go knock on my neighbor's door and choose now to introduce myself. So today was a bad bad bad no shopping day. But I am making these (except not "Christmas Style"... I'm making them with white chocolate chips).

4 comments:

Shannon said...

That's funny!

Got a question for you? How did you link the free book giveaway to your blog? I'm still learning all this stuff and have no idea how to do it.

Shannon said...

I figured it out - the button and link thing :)

Erin said...

Yesterday I was out of white sugar. I thought how could have run out? I thought I had a ton in food storage. Must have been all that jam. Anyhow, I substituted brown sugar in the muffins and they seemed the same. I hate it when I run out of staples.

Rae said...

I always have the same troubles when making cookies or some type of baked good!

I am seriously contemplating adopting your shopping strategy. I'll have to wait and start next week! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...