"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Book Report: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald


Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

Princess Sparkley's homeschool/virtual school curriculum had us reading this chapter book. I can't believe that in all of our childhood reading, neither Jed or I had ever heard of this book. It has to be a classic. It was first written in 1947, so something our parents might have even read as kids. And it's hilarious. So much so that Jed and I have laughed aloud a couple times each chapter. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is an expert on curing children of bad manners/habits. Here are the chapter titles:

The Won't-Pick-Up-Toys Cure
The Answer-Backer Cure
The Selfishness Cure
The Radish Cure
The Never-Want-To- Go-To-Bedders Cure
The Slow-Eater-Tiny-Bit-Taker Cure
The Fighter-Quarrelers Cure

Although I fear "The Selfishness Cure" has backfired in our house. I had to reread this chapter to Princess Sparkley today (we read the first two chapters for school a week or two ago, and then were supposed to read chapter three today... but we already read the whole book not wanting to wait). Buddy immediately started making labels with his name on them and taping them on everything that was his. As soon as we were done with the lesson, Princess Sparkley joined him. The cure is labeling everything the selfish little boy owns, including his food, his bike, etc. and putting padlocks on everything. Eventually he hates it and wants to share. My kids are just labeling everything. Using up more of my tape.*

To sum up, this would be a great book to read aloud to your kids. They might learn a lesson, hopefully the right one.


*Tape is actually on Princess Sparkley's Christmas list each year because I complain about how much she uses and how she always loses our tape.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

i love this book too! I got it for Christmas when I was 8 or 9 and Penny likes it too. I absolutely loved it when I was little and read it multiple times. For some reason I thought there wasa bunch of miss piggle wiggle books. Do you know if there are? Or is there just this one.

Nance said...

jamie- there are 4 or 5... sorry, i forgot to add that to my post.

Lisa said...

We have Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and there's a chapter in there on not completing tasks or getting sidetracked or something and it really hit home. After Evie read the book herself, we re-read that chapter together. Good stuff, those books!

Erin said...

I so need all of those cures. We also have the same tape issues. That is hilarious that she put it on her Christmas list!

Angela said...

Are you kidding me???? You have never read Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? Those were my favorite books growing up. I have the whole series, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle goes to the farm, Hello Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Magic (which is my personal favorite, it has a treasure hunt at the end and it makes me cry). I bought them for Haydn last year for her birthday. She was reading one at my wedding reception.

Angela said...

Oh yeah Betty MacDonald grew up in Oregon too.

wendys said...

I loved mrs. piggle wiggle when I was little!

Shannon said...

Cute sight! I'm starting an online blogger's book club if you are interested!

In the month of October, we'll be reading "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years."

I'll also have to check this book out as well :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...