"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, August 29, 2008

Book Report: Toys Go Out by Emily Jenkins


Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a
Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic
by Emily Jenkins

Growing up, it was my dad who read night time stories with me. I think it was my mom's way of making sure there was quality father/daughter time every night since she was home all day while he was at work. I've sort of continued this tradition, having my husband read stories to the kids each night. Plus he's just better at it.

But I saw this book at the toy store the other day and it looked cute so when I saw that my library had it on its new books shelf, I grabbed it (reaching my limit of 50 books checked out). And it was so cute sounding that I've been reading it to them. We've read 3 of the 6 stories. My favorite was the one where Plastic searches all over for what type of habitat he's from, what he likes to eat, etc. The StingRay, sort of a know-it-all, tells him that plastics live where it's cold and are very furry. Plastic replies, "I'm not very furry." To which StingRay says, "You probably lost all of your fur in an accident." And then "Plastic tries to remember a fur-losing accident, but it must have slipped her mind." Finally, TukTuk the towel (Buddy's favorite character) informs Plastic that she's a ball named Plastic. Not a plastic. It's very cute.

I might be enjoying this book more than my kids, I almost read ahead last night while they were in bed. But they are liking it too.

And there's a second book coming out in September, Toy Dance Party. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Erin said...

We recently checked out this book on tape from the library. Ethan listened to it over and over again and the only part I ever heard was the part about Plastic. I guess I will have to check out the actual book (when you turn it it).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...