"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Book Report: Queen of the Road by Doreen Orion



Queen of the Road:
The true tale of 47 states, 22,000 miles, 200 shoes,
2 cats, 1 poodle, a husband and a bus with a will of its own.
by Doreen Orion

I saw this book as I was walking through Borders several weeks ago. They had a little Borders book club pamphlet about it at their help desk. It looked interesting, so I grabbed one. Then I placed it on hold at the library and waited for it to be ready. It's the story of two psychiatrists who take a year out of their lives, renovate a bus and travel the country. All the husband's idea. In fact, when he told her the idea, she said:
“Why can’t you be like a normal husband with a midlife crisis and have an affair or buy a Corvette?” I demanded, adding, “I will never, ever, EVER, not in a million years, live on a bus.”
But she does. And her tale is hilarious. I read a lot of this book aloud to Jed and I think I've convinced him that he should read it.

I liked this book. And it's nonfiction, so that's an even bigger compliment since it's rare for me to really like nonfiction. The following may or may not be a compliment for the book. It was the kind of book I always dream of reading. One that I can read at a leisurely pace, setting down and picking up here and there. I've always wanted to be one of those people that takes a few weeks to read a book, always has it in her bag, reads it here and there, a chapter a night or so. But that's not how I read books. I read them in a day or two or three. Even if I'm slow getting into the book, once I'm in I speed through it. This book was sort of like that. But I liked the casual pace at which I read this book.

This book was interesting. But not only was it interesting, it was funny. Funny and sort of informative. Especially since I have the kind of husband who would totally have this sort of hair brained idea only we'd be keeping track of counties as well.

Read an excerpt here.

1 comment:

Rae said...

I'm sold. I'm going to check this out of my library too. I can't wait for my hubby's mid-life crisis. I've already told him what it will be: a two-seater car. That way none of the darling children will be able to come along!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...