"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Book Report: Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson


Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

I saw this book at Borders as well. I like to sort of window shop there I guess. Then a friend recommended it for September's book club... so I checked it out from the library and read it. After all the Little House on the Prairie reading that's been going on at my house, I wasn't too excited about this book. It seems like a fun read, but sometimes I get a bit bored with period books. But once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I either started it Monday night or Tuesday morning (I can't remember) and I finished it Tuesday night. I don't want to ruin it for any of my book club members who frequent my blog, but here's the back cover blurb in my words.

Hattie* is a 16 year old orphan, willed her long lost uncle's homestead claim in Montana in the early 1900s, during World War One. She's living with a friendly distant uncle and his not so friendly wife. She has a friend who is a boy off at war in France. So she boards a train and sets of to be a homesteader. Her narration is added to by letters to her uncle, from her friend off fighting the war, and letters to him along with little articles about homesteading she writes for her hometown newspaper. Hattie works hard, finds a family, friends and herself. I cried. But it isn't difficult to make me do this. I loved this book. I'm wondering if there is a sequel though.

*This book is loosely based on the author's own great grandmother who was a teenager with a homestead claim in Montana in 1914. Finding out about this relative sparked the author's interest in learning more and brought about this fictional narrative.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I just finished it this morning. I started it yesterday. Or maybe MOnday night. Like you, I can't remember. But last night I made myself stop reading since the baby was asleep and save the ending for today. I love that it was based on family history and that she did so much research.

wendys said...

I loved it too but I wished it worked out a little better for Hattie in the end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...