"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Taking the Kids to the Dentist



I took Princess Sparkley and Buddy to the dentist yesterday. It was Princess Sparkley's 2nd trip (she went when she was 4, then I procrastinated making another appointment, then our dentist sold her practice and went back to school, then I procrastinated some more, etc.) and Buddy's first trip. In preparation we checked out some books about teeth and dentists from the library. As I come to understand my kids more, I have to admit that they are a lot like me. It's a shame that your kids (at least mine) tend to pick up on my least favorite personality traits. I hate going into a new situation and not knowing what to expect. I want someone to walk me through it and tell me exactly how things are going to be and then I'll feel better about it all. So this is what I tried to do to prepare my kids for the dentist. And since Princess Sparkley has the world's greatest memory, she helped explain everything to Buddy.

I am proud to report that no one cried, no dentists were bitten (which my mom apparently did to her dentist when she was a little girl), and both are going back in 6 months... they are sending me reminder postcards. I will not procrastinate. I will not procrastinate. I'm just going to keep telling myself that. Princess Sparkley did wonderfully, talked her dental hygienist's ear off. All Buddy had done was the dentist looked in his mouth, he'll get a cleaning, x-rays and fluoride next time. He didn't want to sit in the chair. Freaked out when they tried to recline it. Finally he agreed to sit up and open his mouth, first just a little, finally big enough that the doctor could see his teeth. So, not completely successful, but way better than swimming lessons.

4 comments:

wendys said...

You are brave! I have been avoiding taking Ian to the dentist because I don't want to see the kicking and screaming. He's almost 4 so I think we are past due... I will have to go find those library books too.

Ashby Family said...

Way to go! The dentist isn't fun - even at our age. And we have to try and make the kids think it's great!

Erin said...

My dad is a dentist and I don't especially like going. Sure I like having clean teeth, but last time I was home I talked him out of doing some work on me and had him give Lydia sealants instead. I just did not want to get numb. I hate that. Now I haven't been home for a year and that work is long overdue. I wish I hadn't procrastinated....

Nance said...

The hardest thing was I kept wanting to say, "it's not going to hurt" or "the dentist isn't going to hurt you," but it's totally not true.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...