"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Makes You Think

My mom called me Sunday night to let me know a girl I've known since elementary school passed away. It was very sudden and unexpected. She was just a year older than me and left behind a husband and 4 adorable kids. So sad.

I haven't seen this girl in years. We were never really friends, just friendly to each other because we went to the same school, were members of the same church and we were generally nice people. I think the last time I saw her we both showed up at the Spanish language placement test at BYU. I was a sophomore among all the freshman deciding what level of Spanish our high school classes put us at, she was a junior a bit behind like me. She was always the cutest, nicest, friendliest person.

I guess this just struck me as a reminder that no one is immortal. At some point we'll die and while I hope we all live to be 95 or 100, it might probably won't happen. My husband gets frustrated with me because whenever he talks about one of us dying I end up crying. He's got this "if we die, we die and everything will be okay" attitude. I don't. I mean, I understand why I should be okay with death, I just don't want any of us to die. Especially not young. Especially not leaving a spouse or kids behind. It's so sad.

2 comments:

Ashby Family said...

I've had a hard time the past couple of days thinking about Ginger and her family. Today I have been particularly tired, stressed and frustraited with my kids. I felt guilty for getting mad at them because what Ginger's kids wouldn't give to have their mom around. And I just need a break. The whole situation with her leaving this earth so "early" makes me so sad. I can't imagine what her husband Jason is feeling.

Cristin said...

I didn't even know Ginger and I've been thinking about this a lot lately too. None of us really know how long we will be around on Earth. It really does make me think about what I want to accomplish with my family here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...