"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Jobs

My husband came home between school and work today and gave me a couple small jobs. I had to get on the internet (as if I'm ever off) and cancel the History Book Club of the month selection so they won't mail it to him. He also gave me a few lines from two songs that I had to track down who sang them and the song title, then download them from Napster.

These are the kind of jobs I enjoy. Not taking the car in to get its oil changed or brakes checked. Not budgeting. Not alphabetizing all our books. Not filing papers away. Not unloading the dishwasher. Or cleaning the bathroom. Or accompanying the kids to the dentist.

These jobs I was "assigned" today were easy. I'm not going to procrastinate. I'm not going to fret about it. I'm not going to do everything but the jobs. They are easy and can be done in a matter of minutes.

I may, however, use these jobs to avoid the big messy jobs that need to be done but I'd like to avoid.
IE: Budgeting. Finishing moving Baby X's crib out of our room and into our third bedroom (now the office/playroom/Baby X's room). Clean up the mess left behind from underneath where the crib once was. Pack up all the kids clothes that have been outgrown and decide what to do with them. (Store them, but in the case of Princess Sparkley's clothes, half belong to my sister and then for the ones I do own, it's going to be at least 7 years before I have a baby girl who will wear size 6 clothes again. Store them. Donate them. Give them away. Sell them on ebay. What to do?) Figuring out what to make for dinner. Folding laundry. Plugging the computer in so its battery doesn't die. Etc. Etc.

3 comments:

Rae said...

It must be a job day! I was able to accomplish tons! It's a good feeling but I'm exhausted. I don't know if I want to go read, soak in the tub, work on a project, veg in front of the tv or go sleep! Oh! BTW, the oil in my van needs changed and I'm NOT the one taking care of that job! :)

Erin said...

I detest going through kids clothes. I don't know why it is such a pain. Good luck deciding what to do with them!

Cristin said...

I would sell the clothes on Ebay. I have had good success with selling used childrens clothes as lots. People are crazy what they will pay money for. I am just impressed you actually the complete the jobs your husband gives you. You ARE a good wife.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...