"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Sunday, July 13, 2008

In the Midwest, but not of it



Yesterday my eleven year old nephew flew into Kansas City to spend a week with his grandparents, my sister-in-law's mom and stepfather, that live in north central Missouri. My sister-in-law called to let me know he'd be out here and that her parents were planning on going to Cabela's in Kansas City, KS after picking him up at the airport, so if I wanted to go, we could go see him for a bit. Once my mom found out, she put together some stuff she needed to send to us and sent it with my nephew. Princess Sparkley was sick, so me, Buddy and Baby X made the half hour drive. Let me just tell you something... I don't fit in at Cabela's. Last time we went was almost three years ago when we moved here. And it definitely wasn't on a Saturday. I found it so amusing that my nephew's grandparents, from more than three hours away in Missouri, ran into someone they knew at Cabela's. I live less than half an hour away and I didn't even see anyone who looked like people I might know. I'm not a stranger to the outdoor world, but my idea of outdoor sports is hiking and going on nature walks, and reading a book next to a toasty fire in a cabin in the mountains. Not hunting, fishing or anything else involving camouflage or bright orange clothing. Being at Cabela's was sort of a living in the world, but not of it experience. Here we are in Kansas/Missouri, but we aren't Kansans or Missourians, at least not Cabela's shopping Kansans or Missourians.

1 comment:

wendys said...

Cabela's can be kind of creepy with all those dead animals staring at you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...